Adventures in Birthing – #5

This was a most amazing experience. Each of my births has been different and this was no exception. All glory goes to God on this one.

I was so anxious, overwhelmed and fearful about this birth. I prayed often in the last month that God would make this a quick delivery with no incidence, that it would not be painful or the painful part wouldn’t last long. I pleaded with him that I was just at the end this time and couldn’t handle anymore. My pregnancy had drained me physically, emotionally and spiritually. I had nothing left.

I really wanted to just go in, be induced and get an epidural. But I’ve had 3 births without medical intervention that were 100% worth it. The other times I knew that I could do it. I was totally up for the challenge. This time I didn’t think that I had it in me. I just wanted to roll over and give in. My wonderful husband who ordinarily thinks that I am crazy for going without intervention was against me being induced. I actually pulled him aside one night and said, “Let’s look at the calendar and see when we could have this baby. I’m going to see the doctor tomorrow and want to be induced.” I was expecting him to say well if that is what you want, x day would work for me. He took me by surprise and said, “Why do you want to do that? You would want to introduce the drugs into our child and have a sleepy, sluggish baby for days like Madison? I know it is hard for you right now, but I am willing to help you through the next few weeks.” Okay that must have been the holy spirit talking for my husband. So now I finally have him on board and I would rather not. I guess if he thinks I can, I can. So I moaned and groaned for another two weeks about how uncomfortable I was and how much I was tired of being pregnant. And I prayed, prayed and prayed, begged and pleaded some too.

My Mom and Dad got here on Christmas Eve. My Dad left Christmas night and my Mom stayed to help me for the last push (no pun intended) and to be here with the kids when baby’s birthday arrived. New Year’s day came and went and no baby. I was growing quite discouraged. My Dad came back to town the next night to spend the weekend. Everyone left the house mid morning. My Mom and Dad took my sister to the outlets and Wes and I headed to books-a-million. We all met up for lunch and then we took my sister home and Mom and Dad went to a movie. About 4 p.m. I started having contractions about 10 minutes apart. I had been having contractions for 3 weeks so I wasn’t positive if this was the real deal or not. About 5:30 the contractions were getting more intense, it was the first time I let myself think this might be the day. I called my doula to let her know I thought this was birthday. She was checking out at the store and she was going to check back in with me after she got home and put her things away. My Mom and Dad weren’t quite home yet.

The contractions started getting closer together, 2 – 5 minutes. They were slightly more intense but they weren’t lasting long and I didn’t feel like retreating yet. My Mom and Dad had made it home and Mom was fixing dinner for everyone. Wes and I decided to go ahead to the hospital. I had decided that I didn’t want a chinese fire drill again to the hospital and I didn’t want an uncomfortable trip. I was getting the feeling that it wouldn’t be long before I wanted to stay put. My doula thought I might be rushing it and sit at the hospital for some time. But I haven’t ever had textbook labors and something was telling me to get on. So I told her we would meet at the hospital.

We packed a few last minute things and then headed to the hospital. It was about 6:45 at this time. I called a couple of friends on the way to let them know we were headed to the hospital. By the time we were halfway there the contractions were really picking up in intensity. They weren’t lasting very longer and they weren’t that painful. I just felt like I wanted to stand up and walk around. We got to the E.R., checked in and then stood waiting for someone to come get us. She wheeled me up to the LDR room  and showed me the bathroom to change into a gown. It’s about 7:20 p.n. now. I walked into the bathroom, turned around and my water broke. For me that usually means I’m complete. But I wasn’t feeling that way. With some help I got into my gown and headed to the bed. I did not want to sit or lay though. So I stood up next to the bed and held onto Wes. The nurse came in a few minutes later and started asking me lots of questions. She also wanted me to sign my consent forms. I got about halfway through them and didn’t have a clue of what I was reading anymore. We put those aside and I asked her to check me. I was 7. I was thinking that this could take awhile and I was not up for that. The nurse asked me if I was going to make her deliver the baby. The on-call doctor had not made it yet. About that time my doula arrives and I begin to lose it. I tell her that I can’t do it, just let me get some drugs. She comforted me and told me I could do it. At the same time the nurse is trying to get a hep lock in my hand. I make her wait through the contractions and ask her to come to the other side of the bed, then wait again. I have three really big contractions. Then I dropped to my knees on the floor. The nurse convinces me to get in the bed that we don’t want to have the baby on the floor.

I manage to get into the bed. I crawled in and kneeled on the bed facing the back of the bed. Then my body just started to push. It was only a few pushes and baby was crowned. His shoulders got stuck for a bit but the nurse was able to free them as I changed positions. He was born at 7:57 p.m. I had only been on the floor for 30 minutes. It was great. It was exactly what I could handle and nothing more. Our Lord is so awesome. He knows exactly what we can handle. When he gives us more than we can handle he is there to give us the extra strength and wisdom to carry the load.

Wes and I were at the hospital by ourselves. It was the first time we didn’t have a waiting room full of people with us. His Mom was sick and my parents were tending to the other kids. As soon as Spencer was born I told him to go call everyone and let them know we were all right. It came time to cut the cord and he was making phone calls. So I got to cut the cord this time.

Shortly after he was born our good friend and her daughters came to visit. It was so sweet to share that moment with someone that we love. A happy occassion is that much sweeter when it is shared. Spencer’s big sisters and big brothers, Ommy, PawPaw and Popa visited him the next day. Wes and I decided to go home early. We left the hospital after dinner the next day. It was really nice to go home to my kids, my bed and my food.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s